Palio-no Alfa content

Don't flame me but correct me if I'm wrong, but I
remember reading about a horse race in Italy where
they race around the town and then the second place
horse is ceremoniously killed.  If I remember
correctly, the race or the city was named, Palio.
Anybody got the true skinny on this?
The Fiat Palio is available with a 1.0liter or a
larger 16 valve engine.  Maybe when gas prices get to
$3.50USD/Gallon, we will see some Palio's here.

Dave Miller
Deltona, Florida
http://phone.yahoo.com