"death rattle"

Michael S. Sweigart wrote:

> This isn't good, but I hope it is something else. My 1982 GTV6 has developed
> what I termed the "death rattle". When the car is idling low, there is a
> rattling clunking sound that can be heard from the engine area.

I had something similar on an Alfetta which was the driveshaft moving around
enough to lightly hit the rear "engine" mount (where the equivalent of the
bellhousing attaches to the crossmember). If you have a look at the
driveshaft you will see the paint scraped off if it is. The cause seemed to
be a combination of the mount bush being soft/cracked letting the
"bellhousing" hang too low, and the bearing(?) at the front end of the
driveshaft being worn allowing the driveshaft to move around too much.

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce