Car book review and Alfa models-impulse purchases

Steve,
Thanks...thanks a lot, I lost control and bought one, too. Can I
liberate your wallet of some funds, as well? I could, for example,
innocently suggest some automotive reading for you?

It only took me two weeks to inhale about 700 pages (I am married with
children, so my free time is cut in half). Both volumes of BS Levy's
book are worth buying. The first one was "The Last Open Road". A very
fast read, great detail about the birth of European sports car racing,
albeit only covering the East Coast (with an occasional appearance of
West coaster, Phil Hill). The Jersey speak / dialect thing was annoying
at first, but charming once you got into it. Characters were amazing,
and you find yourself engaged in the plot, rooting for Buddy, the young
mechanic, mostly not to screw up. The second volume (Montezuma's
Ferrari) is much funnier, in my opinion, and it covers some
international events like La Carrera PanAmericana. You get vivid
descriptions of cars, tracks, people servicing/selling them, and you
realize what is involved in staging a race team. In addition to all the
car talk, you get lots of local color about America, business, and
culture in the 50s. Did I mention that there was a love interest and
some mildly racy passages, too?
You can get this gear-head-required reading at amazon, ewacars,
classicmotorbooks, books4cars, all the usual sources.

thx, luke, Belmont, CA

74 Spider (time to clean it for Alameda)
98 Audi A6 Q (family truckster, leather conditioning courtesy of little

Jacob)
90 911 C4 (only one window works, probably a damn relay, or maybe it
has a computer for a window control...arghhh)

http://phone.yahoo.com