164 Clunk Saga

I've had a problem on my 164S thatI  have been trying to fix for sometime.
The clunk would occur as I was backing up and turning left or right.  Well it
appears it has now been fixed.  The following is what I did and the result:

             Replaced A Arms                                Clunk still there

             Replaced lower strut bearings              Clunk still there on
drivers side
             (yellow race that springs sit on)            Clunk eliminated on
passenger side

             Replaced sway bar bushings                No change

             Replaced Drivers side strut Insulator      Success!! No clunk

The insulator is the assembly that rests on top of the spring and secures the
top of the strut to the body via three nuts.    The part is not cheap ($80)
but at least the irritating clunk is history.

                                                       Terry Johnston