re: build quality (was: daily driver?)

most practical daily driver, Glenn Wasserman said "the Milano was built
better."  John Herztzman expanded on this notion, citing Alfa Romeo's
attention to sedans as their primary product, and adding:  "in my anecdotal
experience both my '67 Super and my '72 Berlina were far better built, and
less rust-vulnerable, than my '71 GT Veloce, which was certainly more
handsome."

I agree with John concerning the company's focus in the postwar period, and
with his contention that sedans were more rationally designed than coupes,
giving them greater practicality in daily service and possibly longer lives
when used in that way (although, paradoxically, the proprotion of sedans
surviving today may be lower).  On the other hand, Glenn's statement that
the Milano was "built better" than the GTV-6 suggests that illusive thing
now known as "build quality."  Perceived build quality is one of the things
new car buyers say they react to.  It isn't easy to define but, for most
people, it seems to revolve around things like fit and finish, freedom from
squeaks and rattles, and the tactile and visual quality of materials.  I
would have to pick some nits with John if this is what he had in mind when
he said his two 105/115 sedans were better built than his 105 coupe.

Both sedans and coupes were built on the same lines at Arese and, besides
having all major mechanical assemblies in common, they shared numerous
minor components, including but not limited to gauges, switchgear, interior
door handles and window cranks, and fasteners.  Visible pieces like
carpets, seat coverings and door panels, though necessarily different in
shape, were made from the same materials.

Where anecdotal experience is concerned, I'm in the wrong generation to
have been able to buy a new Giulia sedan or 1750 GT Veloce, but,
coincidentally, I do happen to own a '67 Giulia Super and a '71 GTV.  I've
done extensive work on both cars and have never seen a systematic
difference in the quality of assembly work or materials.

Granted, the sedans were designed with an eye toward practicality and
ruggedness in everyday use. If that meets your definition of "quality,"
then by all means enjoy it.  The coupes admittedly sacrificed some
practicality, and possibly some long-term durabilty (the GT Veloces weak
door hinges and tendency to leak rainwater come to mind), in the interest
of style and performance.  But, for my money, Alfa Romeo's 105/115 coupes
were well built by the standards of their time, and compare favorably to
similar cars, including to the 105/115 sedans, with respect to the quality
of materials and assembly.  The best solution may be to have one of each.

enjoy yours,
Dana Loomis