souvenirs

One of the little things I brought home from a recent visit to Italy was a
copy of the current Il Quadrifoglio.  Seems much slicker than I recall when
they were being sent to all USA owners several years ago.

Just as a preview of Alfa thinking, the book has features on performance, new
products (new GTA), Alfa history (including Museo), Goodwood participation,
and upscale lifestyle features concerning travel, fashion, etc. And its
printed on luscious coated stock for a very classy package. Taken all
together, there no doubt the publisher is targeting the book at a very
sophisticated, very upscale, highly educated, style-and-fashion conscious
audience.

Just like us in the USA?

As a marker of who they expect will buy their cars, what's important to them,
and how this all combines in a defined lifestyle, this is an eye-opener.

There is not one drop of indication that someone is thinking, "Gee, we can
bring in a 147-level product that will bow the socks off anything from the
USA or Asia, and it will appeal to USA buyers because it will be cheap at
about US$18k."  That is not at all the attitude that rolls off these pages.
They are thinking upscale markets, including intro level products to groom
the customers of tomorrow into brand awareness and brand loyalty (sometimes
called near-luxury segment); IOW, they have their sights set on selling cars
that could possibly be profitable.  I really think they have gone beyond the
"We'll sell Alfas in the USA to teach Americans what cars should be,"
attitude of yore.  They are in it for the money.  They are not after selling
something cheap with almost no profit.  They want to cultivate a market for
Mercedes-beating 166s where the loot is, I betcha, and all the rest is part
of the overall strategy.

Probably as it should be.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA