Re: head roll pins

> Whilst preparing the GTVs block for reassembly (mostly gasket scraping
> with a single-edge razor blade), I thought that I would put in my roll
> pin kit.  The block had one roll pin in it so I thought I'd just replace
> them all.  Turns out that all the oil passages in the block had been
> drilled out to 7/32" and the stock roll pins where just too small.  And
> looking down into the drilling, I saw the top of another roll pin which
> seemed to be stock size.  Went over to the old head (I had purchased a
> used head and that was sent off to Wes I. for some reworking) and found
> the other roll pins stuck in it.
>
>         These larger roll pins protrud out of head by at least 3/16" (one at
> 1/4") and the head was drilled out to accept the extra roll pin
> protrusion length.  The roll pin end that went into the head was filed
> down to a taper to easy alignment.
>
>         My thinking is to pull out the stock roll pins that were pushed down
> into the oil passage (no idea where they are there; stops for the larger
> pins?), cut down the fatter roll pins so that they only extend the
> typical 1 mm to hold the O-ring in place.  I don't like the idea of
> drilling larger oil passages in the head.
>
>         Does this sound like a good plan?
>
>         Bruce
>
>         '86 Spider
>         '73 GTV

Bruce-
Here is a link I wish I had seen before I attempted to remove my roll pins.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3837/rollpins.html
The old ones are still there because they ain't coming out.  Do what you
need to do to get a functional oil passage, but don't trash a block like
I did.
Cheers,
Dennis Millward
77 Spider-2 days joyridden didn't hurt it much