mechanical injection

There is a place that does service the Bosch and Kugelfischer mechanical
injection units. I've seen it advertised in the BMW and Porsche club
newsletters. I want to say Pacific Injection, located somewhere near San
Jose, or perhaps in Seattle? I could look it up if anyone's interested.
I've never seen a cutaway of these pumps, but assume they work in basically
the same way as a SPICA pump, with perhaps differences in how the logic
function works out the right mixture. I do know the 911 mechanical pumps
have the air-cooled equivalent of a thermostatic actuator: there is an air
duct that brings engine heat (off the heat exchanger?) to the pump acting on
some device that leans the mixture as the engine heats up.

I think one major difference for these units compared to the SPICA units is
that they are attached to BMWs and Porsches, cars that are worth generally a
lot more than SPICA Alfas and that owners are willing to lavish $$$ on.  So
I think the cars tend to get better service through their lives.  And when
it's rebuild time owners are more willing to spend money on them.  And
especially in the Porsche world, the concours/originality camp is a big one,
so they want to have original equipment.  A perfect 911, even an old
plain-jane 911T, can be worth a lot of money, compared to contempary Alfas.

Andrew Watry
Berlina Register
1973 maroon Berlina for sale