Alfa Delayed, sez Autoweek

For those who took me to task for quoting the NY Times, we have this from
Autoweek

(08:50 Sep. 21, 2001)
Alfa will wait to bring new models to U.S.; Peugeot eyes America

Alfas likely won't hit the U.S. market until the 2005 model year.

General Motors and Fiat have abandoned their initial plan to retrofit current
Alfa Romeo cars to meet U.S. standards for sale here in 2003, and will
instead bring all-new models to this country starting with the 2005 model
year. Similarly, early plans to offer Alfas through the Cadillac dealer
network may yield to the alternative of selling the cars through Saab
dealers.
The new Alfa Spyder due in 2005, the 156 replacement expected in 2006 and the
high-end 166 model due in 2007 are the most likely models to appear here. All
are being developed jointly by Saab, Alfa and Lancia, and all will share
underlying architecture. Engines and transmissions are being developed by the
Fiat-GM powertrain division, which has absorbed all of Fiatbs and GMbs
powertrain business throughout Europe.

Don