Re: Pokey Speedo GTV6

This was one of my favorite things to fix in my belated GTV6.
I had the same condition with my tach and the speedo.
What I believe you have here is the "bent needle syndrome"
If you look closely at the needle you may find that it is bent and when you get up to 80mph it actually contacts the face of the gauge.
If this is infact the case there are a couple fixes.
You can cut the bent needle off and replace it with a like substitute.
or
you can get out the old heat gun and try to bend the needle back to an approximation of the original configuration (straight).
The thing that causes the bending is the interesting part to me. It seems that the cross-section profile of the needle (triangular) combined with the effects of aging, ozone degradation... The triangular profile means that two faces of this triangle are exposed to things that the third face are exposed to in a lesser degree. The plastic seems to expand, crack, get powdery... this all curves the needle down into the face of the gauge.
I had my best success in shaving down the needle a bit in thickness with a scraper and then using the heatgun to bend the needle back straight.
I think there is some info on the GTV6 website about this.
Good luck,
jim o
1991 164L (getting better everyday)
1969 912 (44/56)

> Fred Wrights in V8, #61...
> > Here is my question......the speedo seems to be pretty accurate at low
> >  speeds say under 50, but for some reason it doesn't go beyond 80-85?
<snip>