lower timing chain question (74 GTV)

In V9 #62 Eric Lutkin comments: I have a 74 GTV with ~210K miles on it.
I recently had it smogged and in doing the work to pass the smog test
the shop informed me that I
have a loose lower timing chain and that this is a significant potential
problem that requires major engine disassembly to fix.

**************

My first reaction was, "How the heck did they diagnose that one?"

Fortunately in #63 Russ Neely also seems a bit dubious, but does admit
that with that kind of mileage, it might be shot. He also suggests you
might simply take the chance and drive it, with the understanding should
it break, kiss your valves good-bye.

I'm curious, did the car fail the smog test? If so, I certainly wouldn't
diagnose the lower timing chain as the culprit.

How familiar is this shop with Alfas? If the answer is, not very, I
wouldn't be too surprised.

If possible get a second opinion. I'm purely speculating the shop heard
the 'main' chain slapping the timing chain chest; took the cam cover off
and saw that the  chain was tight between the cam gears; either didn't
know at all or how to properly adjust the main chain; therefore they
assumed it must be a lower chain problem.

Should my pure speculation be correct, either adjust the upper /main
timing chain yourself or find someone you trust who can do it for you.
I'm sure you're aware there is no adjustment on the lower one.

Then, as my old pappy used to say, "Start saving your coupons" for a
complete engine rebuild. But in the meantime, like Russ, I'd probably
drive it unless I received irrefutable evidence this IS the problem.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA