Re: alfa-digest V8 #62 - 86 Spider overheating up hills: pusher A/C fan?

       Where is this really long steep hill you keep driving up?  If it is
long enough and hot enough (90 degrees F) and you are running at full
throttle all the way up, then your spider is going to over heat.  Maybe you
should quit driving up that hill <grin>.
       I mentioned this earlier, but perhaps you missed it.  My 84 Spider
SCCA Improved Touring race car runs a stock Bosch engine as required by the
rules.  It has the stock radiator.  In any race when the temperature is over
90, it will run at 212 degrees the whole race.  It has not hurt anything yet.
       In one race when the ambient temperature was 105 degrees, the temp
went to about 240.  I backed off a bit and short shifted until the
temperature came back down.
       Also when the temperature goes up to 212 and stays there for a while,
the oil pressure starts to drop.  That is with Red Line racing 40 weight
synthetic.  The oil is just getting thin.  And when the temperature returns
to normal, the oil pressure goes back up and the engine will run at 180
degrees again.  My race car has done this for numerous cycles with no
evidence of damage to the engine.  But it can be disconcerting.
       So if your spider overheats only on a really long hill, do not worry
about it.

       My stock fan and shroud were removed to free up some horsepower.  I
have rigged the stock air conditioning fan to push through the radiator.  The
air conditioner condenser has been removed.  The stock AC fan was remounted
close to the stock radiator and the opening below the stock AC condenser was
blocked off.  At speed, I am not sure that the fan is really necessary or
helpful.  The fan does not really help that much during a race, but is nice
for cooling down afterward.
       There is some thought that pusher fans block part of the air flow to
the radiator and that puller fans are better in that respect.  There is a
good article on radiators in the current Grass Roots Motor Sports magazine.
There was also a good article in Hot Rod Magazine a month or two ago.  Either
of these magazines may be available at your local library.
       The stock air conditioning fan runs from the little button shaped
sensor on the fan shroud.  When air coming off the fan is hot enough, the
electric fan turns on.  If you want to experiment, run a separate wire direct
to the fan.  Use a toggle switch to activate it when you want it.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City