Noisy Head Job

My spider is back on the road after a complete head job. Now it's gained a
new noise.

Five months ago the head gasket was replaced to solve an oil leak (timing
chain was replaced). It ran fine for four months and 3,000 miles. One day,
it quit and the diagnosis was a bent exhaust valve, (no explanation) so it
went for a head job including new valves, guides, etc.

Now at 1500 - 2000 RPM on the tach (the tach says it idles at 500, the
mechanic says 950) there is a noticeable metal rattling noise. Another
Alfisti suggested the timing chain is loose and given what I've just put
into it is frightening. I have my doubts about the mechanic, but I want him
to get the last repair right!

Suggestions?

Brian Pleet
82 Spider