Re: alfa-digest V8 #58 - Spider gearbox interchangability ?

       Almost all four cylinder, Alfa transmissions and drivelines are
interchangeable.  There are detail differences, but even the 1300 and 1600
transmissions can be made to work in an 86 spider.
       As a direct bolt in, any 2000 spider transmission from 1972 through
1994 will fit your 86 spider if you keep your existing bellhousing.  Any
transmission from 1982 though 1989 will bolt right in, including the
bellhousing.  And the 90 through 94 Motronic transmissions will work, but the
holes in the bellhousing for the magnetic pickups from the flywheel are not
drilled and tapped.  The only difference I have detected is in the
bellhousings and perhaps in the speedometer drive gear.
       All spider drive shafts from 1972 through 1994 are also the same.  All
rear ends from 1972 to 1994 are the same, except that the ratio was 4.56 in
the early years and 4.10 from 1982 to 1994.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City