SPICA bores

Hey, kids -

I am not a metallurgist, nor do I play one on TV, but
it seems to me that chrome plating is not what you'd
want lining the bores of your SPICA pump. Too hard,
brittle, non-porous, whatever. Maybe they've improved
their techniques since I was a pup - hell, they've
invented twenty new kinds of dirt since then - but I
remember chrome-plated bores in bike engines being
subject to all kinds of nasty failures or causing
same. However, I've seen ads in Hemmings for
businesses that re-line brake and clutch cylinders by
boring them out and fitting a bronze sleeve. Bronze
may or may not be the material of choice for a SPICA
bore (lots of strokes at high revs, gasoline instead
of brake fluid for lubrication etc.), but perhaps such
sleeves could be made from something suitable.

OK, over to the professionals now...

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA