clunky 164 front

> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:11:40 EDT
> From: TJOHNST@domain.elided
> Subject: 164 Lower Ball Joint
>
> I've been getting a clunk from my right front when backing out and turning.
> I've replaced the a arm, lower sturt bearing  and engine mounts.  Since the
> part is cheap I thought I would replace the the lower ball joint next to see
> if that is the problem.  I s there a tool required to remove and replace the
> ball joint?  Also are there any tricks or short cuts?  Thanks!
>

>                                                  Terry Johnston

Terry,

This is easy. Not the ball joint. There is no real fix,
short of Loctite. It's the front wheel bearing shifting
slightly in the hub, it does no harm other than having
passengers ask if "they all do that"

My 91 B, previous 91 L auto, and until last week 93 L all
make this sound leaving the driveway. If you disassemble and
Loctite the outer bearing shell, it would be ugly to remove
for the next guy.
--
Best regards,
"AlfaBill"