alloy wheel refinishing

I recall there was a discussion about refinishing alloy wheels.  I am
specfically interested in refinishing Turbina (magnesium/aluminum alloy)
wheels.  An acquaintance has access to several types of media (including
sand and some husk material) which is available in several grades of
fineness.  I presume it is possible to limit the velocity of the air and to
use a finer softer medium like the corn husk to do the job.  Am I going in
the right direction with this?  Thanks!

Roy
1985 Graduate with steel wheels and aging tires
1978 Huffy Strider - 10-speed