Re: alfa-digest V8 #43 - Spider Alignment

In a message dated 09/10/2001 11:37:53 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:21:48 -0400
> From: "Robert W. Murphy" <rmurphy@domain.elided>
> Subject: Spider alignment
>
> I'm sorry if this has been discussed recently and I missed it.  I know it
> has
> been discussed some in the past but I tried searching the archives and did
> not
> find much.  I need to have the alignment set on my 90 Spider and was
> wondering
> if anyone has any suggestions as to the best settings?  I recently
> installed
> new springs from Ereminas that lowered the car about 1 inch.  Should I
> stick
> with the factory settings or adjust it a bit to compensate for the lower
> ride
> height?  I also have Yokohama A509 tires in the 205/60/14 size on the car.
> don't know if the tire size make a difference or not.   Anything to watch
> out
> for when I take the car to a shop for an alignment?
>
> Thanks,
>
> rob murphy
> 90 Spider

       What are you going to do with the car?  For standard street driving
and maximum tire wear, go with the stock alignment specs.  Off the top of my
head, the stock specs are about 1 1/2 degrees of positive caster, zero camber
and about 1/16 inch of toe in.
       For a street car with a bit of autocrossing tossed in, use the above
with about 1/2 to 1 degree of negative camber.  You might have to get
adjustable upper A arms to get the negative camber.  Or in some cases, you
might need to get the adjustable A arms just to get back to stock camber
specifications.  I had to have the alignment shop put in kit in my otherwise
good upper A arms.  The kits are available from Shankle (Alfa Ricambi).
       My race car with no street use has 3 1/2 degrees of positive caster, 2
degrees of negative camber and zero toe.  Play with your settings to suit
yourself.
       Most any alignment shop should be able to set up your car for you.  I
like those with laser beams to make sure everything is nice and square.

       I really like the Yokohama 509.  I also have them in the 205 60 14
size on one of my 91 spiders and on my Milano.  Too bad they are
discontinued.  Every time I find a good street tire, the manufacturer has
discontinued it by the time I need more tires.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City