Technical but non Alfa question

hi guys and girls
Here's my Maserati question (hey, I admit honestly):
I replaced an oil seal on the differential input and needed to torque the nut
that holds the bearings of the input shaft together on the axle with pinion,
inside the diff housing. Now the factory book calls for only the torque that,
afther tightening the nut, is required to rotate the input shaft. And at
that, the rotation is not with axles, calipers and wheels on as in the way I
work on this.
My question is if there is a formula to calculate the tightening torque from
that, or something people that have done this kind of work before,used as an
experimental approach.
Thank you
Vlad
'91 164L