okay a real question this time....

when i let of the gas pedal my car backfires a lot. any ideas what this
would be? i think the throttle might not be closing all the way. there's a
story behind why... if you really want to hear about it, let me know. it
basically involved a breakage, electrical tape, eventual welding, and
hardware-store threaded rod for linkages. maybe it isn't within length
tolerances.  anybody had constant backfiring issues? its not really bad.
just a pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-krak-pop kinda thing.

also, i'm replacing my clutch soon. any advice? IAP's 99-00 catalog pg49
lists a complete kit for $229, or with heavy-duty pressure plate for $293. i
don't race much, although i street-drive "like a maniac" (which i find odd
since it doesn't match my diagnosis). is the heavy-duty one worth the extra
money? anything else i should probably replace at the same time? is the
"cluth alignment tool" on pg53 worth the $2.50? (i am not a cheap alfa
owner!) i've removed/replaced the tranny myself before, and the mount is in
good shape.

oh yeah.... any warnings?

kyle
'87 spider with all sorts of weird crap