Re: Subject: Radiator cleaning: What concentration TSP? -- WARNING!!!

Just a word of warning-- I tried this once before and my water pump failed
immediately afterwards. Coincedence? Maybe, but since then I use readily
available (found at most auto parts stores) products made for cleaning the
cooling system. The $5.00 flush kit by Prestone helps clear out the system
easily. I installed the tee fitting for the garden hose where the heater
inlet hose connects to the intake manifold and every year when I flush the
cooling system I just watch until the water runs clear out of the radiator
fill (One of the parts of the flush kit is a collar that fits the rad fill
neck. I attached an old washing maching drain hose to it that allows the
coolant to drain over the edge of the car, keeping it clean.) No rust, but
usually a little oil scum.

An added benefit of having the tee fitting at the heater hose/manifold
junction is that it is now the highest (altitude) point in the system and
makes an easy job of bleeding the cooling system-- just unscrew the cap
slightly until the air or bubbles stops. Previously I would have to fight
with that stubborn brass plug at the front of the manifold.

After staying away from the "household cleaner" type cleaning agents in the
cooling system the water pump has not failed. Maybe a little weakish flow at
idle but quiet and not leaking.

--Caxambu
1969 1750 Spider Veloce
Seattle WA