Re: alfa-digest V8 #30

Tony Lupton,
I would tend to agree with you, from the time I was 16 until I was 26 an Alfa
was my only car. 65 Giulia Spider or 75 Alfetta Sedan. If I were not so sick
and tired of the way people treat other people's cars I would still drive one
every day. The sad fact is most people have as much regard for a car as they
do for an iron or the refrigerator. One evening at dinner in a very upscale
restaurant my wife and I were asked to step outside as there had been an
accident. A woman, who was very obviously drunk, had backed into my wife's
Alfa. The woman explained she was a lawyer and that being charged with any
kind of public intoxication or drunken driving would be very detrimental to
her career. To this end, she suggested that we take the car to the Alfa
dealer, have it repaired and send her the bill, no questions asked. My wife
-- she and I were not yet married -- agreed. We had not even sat back down
when the waiter asked us to step back outside. The woman had backed into the
Alfa again, about a foot further down the side of the car from the first
impact. My wife lost her cool called the cops and still ended up having to
take the car all over town to get repair estimates. Story # 2. Eight months
pregnant, my wife comes out of the local HQ to find the door of the Spider
hit so hard the window is broken. No note, no nothing. Story # 3. We decided
to paint the Spider ourselves... I have a paint booth in my garage and Robin
bought me the HVLP sprayer for my birthday. (You guys are welcome to give it
a try if you are in the Newport News, VA area. No projects left more than the
weekend, they will be junked) Anyway after count 68 separate door dings I
gave up.
So yes Tony I understand that some people will have an Alfa as their daily
driver but for most it will be a toy or at best a fair weather car.
Thomas A. Gonnella