From: Charles Koster [mailto:cjkoster@domain.elided]
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2001 10:45 AM
To: alfa@domain.elided
Subject: 164 stereos

As a new owner of a 164, I did a little looking around for a CD player
for
the car, but I haven't bought anything yet.  I am most interested in the
specifications of the FM section because I like to listen to the radio.
Since I live in a fairly remote part of Los Angeles county, the FM
sensitivity spec is the first thing I look at.  Currently, of the
mainstream brands I have looked at, Sony and Pioneer have the best FM
sections.  Some of the Sony units have an FM sensitivity spec around 8,
whhich is truly outstanding, while the Pioneers with the so-called
"Super
Tuner III" FM tuner come in at around 9.3, which is also very good.
Pioneer makes two DIN-and-a-half-size units, the GM and Chrysler size
that
was original equipment in the 164.  You can find the two Pioneer units
on
the Crutchfield website under "special interest" or some such category,
the
model numbers are something-something-47 and something-something-77 and
the
respective prices are $245 and $295, $50 cheaper than the MSRP quoted on
Pioneer's website.

Charlie Koster
Kagel Canyon, CA
1986 GTV-6 3.0S