Re[2]: Spider speedo disassembly

Every mechanical speedo I ever worked on had a magnetic link. I've
never known one to be damaged by going to fast. Pulling the peg might
allow you to get some idea of your speed when over 85 but I wouldn't
expect much accuracy up there.
Reminds me of a ticket I got once while riding my Laverda Jota. I had
been blasting along in the coastal mountains of Southern California at
a rather um, excessive rate of speed and upon slowing (why did I
decide to slow!) a local Sheriff caught me. He was so excited about
finally catching me that he was having a hard time restraining
himself. Not that he was angry, actually he was in a pretty good
mood. He said he didn't think he could ever catch me and was wondering
how fast I was actually going. I of course was kind of hesitant to
say so he wrote me up for doing 70 in a 55 and then asked. I told him
I didn't know because my Jota has a federally mandated 85mph speedo and
it had been pegged most of the way over from the beach. He laughed his
ass off, thought it was fantastic...

weird.

Ed