Re: alfa-digest V8 #9

In a message dated 09/01/2001 9:42:34 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I thought that the purpose of the directional lug nuts was a tendency to
> resist loosening up.  Anybody?  Anybody?
>
> bs

       That was the theory.  The problem was in the application.  Chrysler
products of the fifties had the left hand threads on one side of the car.
Oldsmobile and probably others had them on the opposite side.  I realize some
of these models used left handed lug bolts rather than lug nuts, but the
application was not consistent.  I guess some engineers thought the reverse
threads should tighten on acceleration and others thought braking should do
it.  So perhaps the high performance cars had them one way and the slow cars
the other?  <grin>
       I was helping crew on a dirt track modified the other week.  This has
a solid rear axle with splines for the wheels all held on with a big nut in
the middle.  It had a left hand thread on the right side and a right hand nut
on the left side.  I guess the theory is that the axle turning in the middle
would tend to tighten the nut.  However, the nut was so light in comparison
to the wheel that inertia of the nut itself would not be sufficient to make
any tightening motion.
       Seems silly to me.  If the nuts are properly tight, the direction of
motion should not matter.  It they are loose, they are not going to get
tighter while driving.
       But then I ain't an engineer.

Ciao,
Russ Neely