limit strap screws

From the 105/115 cars I've seen, early cars have slotted flat-head screws
holding the rear axle strap into the body, and later (2000 for sure, perhaps
1750 also) have a Phillips head screw that is a lot easier to remove.  If I
had the choice when putting one back together, I'd use the Phillips screw,
not the slotted screw, though I guess you'll lose concours points for that.

If the screw is tight, soak it with penetrant, but unfortunately you can't
get ahold of the slotted screw well and the slot often strips. Sometimes you
can chisel the screw out in a counterclockwise fashion.  It beats drilling
and retapping.  For the Phillips screws, use a #3 or #4 Phillips bit mounted
on a 3/8" drive ratchet with appropriate length extension. This way you can
really push the bit deep into the screw with force, while turning, to
prevent stripping the Phillips X.  I've gotten a bunch out this way.  The
bit-plus-extension-plus-ratchet method also works for the slotted screws,
but not as reliably in my experience.

For either kind of screw, it's not really a fun project.  Most of my cars
have been Calif cars and not major rust buckets, so I could be living in an
unrealistic dreamworld.  Which many of you may say about Calif anyway.

Andrew Watry