German reliability (was Drive by wire, very limited Alfa content)

>  I do understand that Fiat and/or Italian technology cannot be fairly compared
> to Mercedes and/or German technology,, but I will continue to be leery.

Sorry, John, but the only major problem I have had with my LS has been a
German system and I hear of Saab 9000s with the same issues. In 80k I
had only two problems with my Milano Silver: head gasket (like everyone)
and (German) brake calliper and I had the same brake problem in my GTV6
before. The logical conclusion would have to be that Alfa did themselves
no favor by sourcing German components.

I owned a BMW some years ago - it was a wretched piece of engineering,
worthy of the East Bloc - although I was far more impressed with my 1st
version Golf GTI which followed the BMW. I have driven a few other more
recent German cars. While not speaking of $80,000 examples (not
comparable with Alfas, I would say), I'm underwhelmed by German
technology in more modestly priced cars - often horrendously complex (no
point in using 10 parts, if you can use 50), not necessarily more
reliable and not necessarily any better in any way.

Nicky