Re: Re: 24V (5-speed) oil change

Not necessarily true, but I did...

After about 10 oil changes in this car, this is the first time I've done it thru the right wheel well.

My normal method is to go at it from below, snaking my medium-sized hand past the (cool) exhaust pipe and removing the filter that way. I always spill some on the floor and the exhaust, but no jacking is required.

Just like the tranny dipstick, finding it the first time takes 10 times longer than the second time, which is 5 times longer than the third time... First time I couldn't even see the darn thing, now I can do it with my eyes closed.

If you try it my way, test the removal path by probing with the new filter before you loosen the old filter. Unscrewing the filter is relatively easy, getting it out of the area in which it resides is the difficult part and where the contents of the filter always gets spilled.

Karl

sfalfisto@domain.elided wrote:
> You need to remove the inner fender to do an oilchange?  Funny, I didn't this past weekend.  Sure the
oil filter is a beech to get to, but it's possible.  I
think I'll farm that task out next time, it really
wasn't much fun, but being under the car did give me a
chance to give it a once over.  I've got an oil leak
somewhere I'd like to fix.

Cheers,
Ian
94 164 LS