Eureka! I found the tranny dipstick

I know the transmission dipstick exists because I've seen one in pictures.

A few days ago I changed the tranny fluid on my 95 LS.  Before draining the fluid, which is the easy part, I wanted to make sure I'd be able to fill the transmission back up.  After searching for many minutes I finally found the elusive dipstick hidden behind a hose.  It actually juts out of the differential and is very close to the firewall.

As a dipstick it's useless for the garage mechanic as the car must be jacked up to access. Since the car isn't level you'll never get an accurate reading.

In any case, I drained the transmission through the two 10mm (differential) and 12mm (gearbox) drainplugs using allen-type sockets.  There is a sensor/24mm nut above the bell housing that can apparently be removed in order to add fluid, but I chose to fill the tranny with Redline GL-5 through the dipstick opening.

Using some old clamps, I fashioned some narrow plastic hoses together and inserted one end into the differential and (slowly) added the Redline.  Watching for overflow, the gearbox took up 1.9 liters of GL-5 with no problems.

Paul cuadra@domain.elided

95 LS 5-speed
97 Moto Guzzi Sport