Spider Rear Springs

Digestibles,
There has been much discussion lately about rear spring replacement but one
point of data is always omitted. Mainly, after removing the bolt at the rear
of the trailing arm, how far down does the arm have to travel before the
spring (stock) is unloaded? Two inches, five inches, throw me a bone here. I
need to re spring but want to make sure I have the means and do not have to
replace the bolt and adjust the height several times before I can lower the
arm enough to unload the springs.
(I only have one floor jack)
Dave Partridge
76 Spider (sagging unevenly)