Re: Generic O2 Sensors, and Recommended Connection Methods

The reason most O2 sensor manufacturers don't
recommend soldering wires, is that they actually
breathe through the wires.  An O2 sensor measures the
relative difference between the oxygen in the exhaust,
and the oxygen in the outside air.  Some sensors are
sealed, and get their reference air through the wires.
 Solder blocks this air source, and the sensor will
eventually drift and stop working.

Other sensors (like the Denso sensors I used to work
with) have a source for reference air through the
sensor body.  Ours had a goretex filter to allow air
through, but keep water out.

Just a little bit more semi-worthless knowledge for
the techies out there...

Cheers,
Ian Lomax
--- Johnson David-QA2282