re: Alfa - future systems

Noting your signature line, you trust computer systems every day in a 91 164.
Air bag and engine management...  Ever fly in an Airbus or Boeing aircraft
manufactured in the last couple of decades?  Fly by wire.

I don't particularly fear safety systems that operate on a cause/effect basis.
In other words, you hit the brake pedal, a computer relays a signal to the
brakes, etc.  Same thing with air bags, you hit something, it makes the
decision to (or not do) deploy.  These types of systems have been proven
incredibly reliable - and a transition to braking systems is realistic and
(eventually) practical.

The only systems I actually "fear" are those being developed to make decisions
for you - you get too close to another car and the brakes come on
automatically...You know, some insurance companies used to raise rates because
some software decided you were "due for an accident."  I sarcastically (and
cynically) suggest that we not allow the insurance companies and auto
manufacturers to co-produce a car....it might decide you're really due for
that accident.