Autoweek Article on Alfa's Return to the US

Greetings Fellow Alfisti!

	I have read a number of postings referring to the Autoweek article from
the 3/27/2000 issue announcing the Fiat-GM alliance.  I too read the
article with much interest anticipating when I may finally be able to
walk into a dealership on American soil and plop down my deposit on a
beautiful NEW Alfa of my choice.  However, I was extremely disappointed
when I read that the first vehicles will not even begin to be imported
for three more years.

	What I find strange is that the article mentions that "The front-drive
Spider(seen below), introduced in Europe in October 1994, was
federalized during design, but never sold in the States".  If this
statement is true, why can't GM-Fiat begin importing this car NOW?
If they wait three years to introduce a two-seat roadster, the market
demand for this type of automobile will have long since passed.

	I realize that a network of dealerships has not yet been defined, but
besides that, with the federalization requirements already met, what
other hurdles stand in the way of importing the current Spider
immediately?  Is anyone on this digest familiar with US automobile
import regulations that might be able to shed some light on this
dilemma?

	If I have to wait at least three years for a NEW Alfa, does anyone know
where I can pick up a 1994 or 1995 164LS (preferably somewhere on the
East Coast)to hold me over in the mean time?  If so, drop me a line.
Thanks.

Looking forward to the New Hope Auto Show again this year!
Mike Berube
mdberube@domain.elided
1986 Spider Veloce
Berwick, PA