Re: Milano stereo install

> Dave Johnson wrote:
> Actually what you are referring to is a choke,

Yup, _that's_ the terminology I was looking for.  Gee, all those years in college
learning EE stuff for my CE degree and I still forgot!  Strangely enough, I
remember what elastic and inelastic demands are, in addition to why estrogen
exists.  Hmm, selective memory you think? :-) :-)

So, to those wanting to upgrade your Milano/75 stereos the following info should be
useful:

Front speakers:  stock = 5 1/4" paper cone, sounds terrible when new, unusable
after ten years in the door.  You can replace with the same size speaker but I have
comfortably installed 6 1/2" speakers mounted to the door itself (not the door
panel as per stock).  Sounds better, but since the front seat bolsters are in the
way, you only get a fraction of their power delivered to your ear.  Not much room
towards the hinge of the door since that's where the power window motor lives,
along with some structural bracing you don't want to cut up.

Rear speakers:  stock = 5 1/4" paper cone sitting in a hole about 6" square.  After
various attempts at putting in plate speakers and squeezing 6 1/2" speakers into
the said opening and not getting the desired results, I cut up the rear deck to
take 6x9"s.  Result?  Much improved bass response - even without cutting the metal
deck to allow a port into the trunk/box.  1991-1993 164 speaker grilles work great
to cover up your new 6x9" speaker installation.  Looks totally stock.

Amplifier location:  under the front seats, and in the trunk.  Mine lives
underneath the passenger seat (4 x 40W RMS) and the 6-disc CD changer lives under
the driver's seat.  Watch out for those fuel lines underneath the passenger seat.
Push them to one side and tape 'em down with duct tape or packing tape to make sure
they don't jiggle their way back to saw themselves with the amplifier mounting
screws.

Power supply:  best to put a big choke in line with the constant power supply (pink
wire) and a smaller choke on the ignition on wire (red & black).  Lightning caps
could help out with those putting in big amps.  Also make sure your alternator has
fresh brushes and a good voltage regulator on it (Fred Di has 'em for $25 ppd).
Nothing like having your lights dim when you have the lights, wipers, rear
demister, stereo, and fan(s) on during a dark and rainy night ...

My Milano/75 is a workhorse, and it has to function under some very varied
circumstances.  I'm happy to say that it's nice that it can also double as a
boombox when my mood calls for it.

Nizam