Alfa Radio with poor reception - please help

I recently purchased a used stock Alfa radio for my 1990 Spider and I am
having a problem with poor radio reception.  Whenever the radio is on, it
sounds as if it's out of tune and that the station isn't quite tuned in
properly.  The tape player works very well and is crystal clear.  The Alfa
radio came out of a 1993 series 4 Spider and is the upgraded unit with the
anti-theft feature and is CD compatible.  The previous radio in my car was a
cheap Kenwood unit that worked rather well and got great radio reception.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get the radio working properly
and get good radio reception?  I did verify that the antenna was plugged
into the radio.  Was the radio installed improperly or does something need
to be grounded to improve the radio reception?  TIA.

Ken Ross