RE: More About Those Trucks...(Alfa content=0)

>>Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:40:41 -0700
>>From: Mitch Wolberg <rkane@domain.elided>
>>Subject: RE: More About Those Trucks...

>>I've had the good sense to stay out of one of these threads but I just
>>can't help myself. In my opinion some people buy cars to have an
>>accident in. Used to be that the majority of Volvo drivers were
>>tailgaters, as if with that super safe car they didn't need to be
>>careful. Now its just about everyone, but the worst offenders are the

Right on the money.  Well documented statistical effect that safety
improvements in
N.A. cars (seatbelts, airbags, etc.) become quite rapidly offset by
increased
driver aggressiveness. If I remember correctly it takes about three years
for the full offset
effect to come through.  After the safety improvements the rate of serious
injury per
miles driven remains the same (statistically speaking, so skeptics can
always argue about this).
I can send references to the academic study if anybody cares.

Now does this make Alfisti less safe drivers because of
the "protect-the-driver-at-all-costs" crumple zone design?

Carlo
86 Spider Quad in sunny SF