FWD and die-hard fanatacism

Way back in 7-1450 Zach asked "Have the die hard rear drive fanatics driven a
well mannered FWD such as the 164?" Well, I'm a die-hard rear drive fanatic,
(I think), and I own (and have driven) a well-mannered 164, and three of the
eight new cars I have purchased at one time or another have been FWD cars, so
I thought I might offer some counterpoint. Since then the discussion has gone
overboard, probably beyond the point of no return (cheers from the gallery!)
but I had already looked up some competition notes so I will throw them on
the conflagration.

Apart from the very well known Indianapolis cars- Millers, the Blue Crowns
and the Novis, there were some interesting Grand Prix cars Alvis built in
1926 and 1927 for the 1.5 liter formula (the one which Alfa and almost
everybody else skipped), but they had little success against Darracq,
Bugatti, Amilcar and Delage due to engine failures. The only other FWD GP car
I know of was the Christie which ran unsuccessfully in the 1907 French G.P.,
but finished thirteenth out of sixteen cars (and the first American finisher)
in the 1907 Vanderbilt Cup race. Independent suspension (unlike the Alvis and
the Millers which had DeDions), transverse engine, and a somewhat primitive
limited slip arrangement.

In sports cars the record is more auspicious. At Le mans in 1928 a 1.5 liter
Alvis took sixth behind two 4.4 liter Bentleys, two 4.1 liter Chryslers, and
a 4.9 liter Stutz. In 1929 a one liter Tracta took ninth overall behind a 6.6
liter Bentley, three 4.4 liter Bentleys, a 5.3 liter Stutz, two 4.1 liter
Chryslers, and a 1.5 liter Lea Francis. In 1930 a one liter Tracta finished
eighth overall, just two places behind a blown 1750 Alfa. In 1937 a 1.7 liter
Adler finished sixth behind a Bugatti, two Delahayes, a Delage and an Aston
Martin. in 1938 two Adlers (1.5 and 1.7 liters) took sixth and seventh behind
three Delayayes, one Talbot, and a Darl'Mat. All highly respectable
accomplishments.

Were there ever any front drives in the Mille Miglia? Don't know for sure,
but I doubt it- certainly no Italian ones. The organizers went to great
lengths to provide classes for everyone- military vehicles, police cars,
charcoal-powered cars- and if there had been one Italian FWD car there would
have been a class for it.

I'll leave it at that, except to say that I think I have my last FWD car.
last Italian one, anyway.

Enjoy yours,

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.