tachometer problems

While driving to work on Monday in my 1990 Spider, I noticed that my
tachometer was reading about 500 rpms lower than usual at 80 mph.  It was
hovering at about 2700 rpm and usually reads 3200 rpm at 80 mph.  I later
noticed that it will barely pass 3000 now, no matter how fast I am going or
how much I wind out the engine in any gear.  Is this indicative of the
tachometer dying?  Or do you think there is a bad connection somewhere?  Where
exactly is the tachometer sender/sensor?  I was once told that the tach reads
off the ignition coil.  Is that correct?

Thanks,
Rob Murphy
90 Spider
Coral Springs, FL