Bob Boniface's reply

> ........My brother-in-law just changed the
> battery last month (car was built in April 1990), not because it was dead,
> but rather, as a precautionary measure.  It was the finest car I've ever
> owned.
>
> Bob Boniface

This is why I get so frustrated, the 164 is SO good, and
while this is an exceptional car, with so few issues, I
agree that the 164 is a terrific and durable car, if it is
screwed together prpoerly. It's the trail of repairs and
flaws that condemn the car to the reputation it has.

My 164 (168 :) ) is my favorite car of many I have owned.
Relative to what it is designed for, a big fast sedan for
cruising, it is fantastic and still fast and tight after
101,000 enthusistic miles. BUT, i wasn't relying on it and I
see people here all the time who are close to giving up and
it isn't a new trend. Maybe Fiat had the old Detroit
Monday/Friday cars...

With the Japanese setting the hurdle so high in the early
90's, with the Maxima, Lexus and Infinity, even Camry... an
auto maker has to be very good not to be put on the
sidelines. Look at how good US brands are today. Perhaps not
our first choices as Alfisti, but the new Detroit iron is
light years ahead of what it was a decade ago.

Alfas in Europe appear to have followed the trend somewhat,
new cars look to be much better... Comments from our
European and othe market neighbors??

What makes me nuts is Alfa should of/could of been so
successful here...
Oh well.

- --
*Bill Harkell				           *