Re: Japan components

> I think Alfa also went with a Japanese auto transmission for the 166 (Aisin
> as opposed to ZF). In terms of reliability, you can't beat Japanese
> products. Unfortunately Japanese cars are either too boring (Camry, Avalon
> (YUCK! ugly POS)) or too expensive (NSX, R33 V-Spec, EVO VI, STi 22B). For
> me BMW is just a compromise between an Alfa (fun) or Honda (reliability).
> So I'll sticka witha tha Alfa. Besides, haven't found another car with such
> a nice logo and engine sound. Not to mention the looks. BMWs are just too
> bland.

Actually, the Japanese myth of reliability is just that.. a myth.  At
this point those companies lead in manufacturing:  Toyota's "lean
manufacturing", etc.  The Volkswagen Passat consistently beats
out the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord in reliability.  Now if you
also consider that the VW has nice Euro styling (by far not the
best, but also not the worst), a base engine that is 5v/cylinder,
with turbo, front and rear anti-roll bars, and a great braking system,
it is by far the better car in terms of reliability, design, and
engineering.  Simply drive the basic models of these three "bread
and-butter" models, and the 'myth' is instantly erased.  The same
would happen if you drive a Lexus GS300 (oogly isn't it?), and then
compare it to equivalently priced Alfa 166 and Audi A6.

I guarantee though that VW can't manufacture Passats as
efficiently in Germany as Toyota can in their Kentucky
plant.  That is why you have the $1.5-2k difference for similiar
equipment.

On the other end, I know so many people that have Audis, or Alfas
and Opels overseas and have zero-problems.  Then I know people
who have Corollas and Civics that leave them stranded, or with
very expensive repair bills, and not just on one occasion.  Wouldn't
it be great if all the companies really get a hold on quality, and it is
just design/engineering that weeds them out?

take care,

Ryan
Saab 900 2.0 16v Turbo
Alfa Romeo 75Q 3.0 V6
Ducati 650SS Gio.Ca.Moto

ps.  Zamani how can you not like the new M3 and Z8.
       amazing cars!  amazing style/design!
pps.  one gripe against BMW, and on a side note:  Does anyone
        agree that the previous/previous 5-series was a slight copy of
        the Lancia Fulvia (in the front), and that the previous/previous
        3-series took a lot from the Alfa Romeo 75?