My left 105 axle is broken. Help!

I read the procedure to remove an axle in the workshop manual, and it makes
mention of a special Alfa puller to get the axle out. Is there anything else
that I can possibly use (to get the replacement one out of its tube, at
least)?

Also, I'm told I will need to remove the axle tube to get the broken bit
out. The left side looks nasty... Is there anything I should be wary of? Is
there a gasket between the differential and tube? If so, what thickness
gasket material must I use to make another?

Is it simply a matter of getting all the old axle out, putting the tube on,
and sliding the new one in (without disturbing the bearing at all)?

Thanks for your help.

Davide