Suds in the USA

> John Tipler's new book, Alfa Romeo Sporting Saloons (which has a good
number
> of errors and mis-captioned pix, etc., in it) devotes a lot of space to
> Alfasuds, which we in the US never got to buy.  Are there any Suds in the
> US, either legally or otherwise?  Do they ever come up for sale?

Yes, very few. I have been keeping an informal USA Sud,Sprint,33
reregister.
Some Suds came in during the gray market era of the 80's, but I would guess
most came over as temporary (diplomatic) cars and sold. My Sprint came here
that way from Portugal and them sold and titled in Mass. with legal DOT/EPA
papers. It is fully legal and has an EPA waver (no cat) for yearly
emissions testing.

The Boxer was tested here by AR and the EPA for emissions to be certified.
I know this because I have the 1.7 twin carb 33 test engine and transaxle
with 250 hours on it and many cams bought from a well known USA ex-Alfa
employee. I want to put it into the 1.5 Sprint when I have more time.

My 1984 Alfa Romeo Sprint QV 1.5 silver (Sud type inboard brakes) in Mass.
1986 Alfa Romeo Sprint QV 1.5 black (33 type with outboard brakes) in
Oregon
197? Sud Ti 1.5 ? Brown, Maryland some where.
197? Sud 1.3 (4 Door) in Texas (mostly in boxes) rust bucket.
* Tom Zat of Alfa Heaven an Alfa shop and cottage car manufacture,
(that's how he can import them & buy the leftovers from Alfa)in Wisconsin.
All his are for sale. Call him !
*1977 Alfa Sud Sprint Veloce, yellow & brown, NOS 1.5 engine, restored,
ex-pro rally car.
*1972 Alfa Sud Ti 1.3 red/yellow & black, EPA car, race prepared, extra
engine.
*1974 Formula boxer 1.5 engine, black & gold, restored.
198? 33 silver, A post here about a diplomatic car in DC area ?
197? x2 Suds in Ca. private collection (If anyone can verify theses ?)
197? Sud from last post in Ohio (more info please !)

#197? Sud 1.3 single carb 2 door rusty something wrong with 1.3 engine.
Was autocross car with interior in far shape in car. Tons of OEM new
parts in boxes, and good extra NOS twin carb 1.5 engine with low miles,
manuals, etc..
# This ones is for sale too, if anyone is interested I will get you in
touch
with the owner (If interested e-mail me). He is a factory service provider
and will deliver it on the east coast for $800 - $900. It is a stalled
project.
Have not seen the car but want to see it go to a good home. Located in New
England.

Hope this puts some light on the USA Sud picture. I'm sure there is some
more
but not many. If anyone comes up with some let me know.

Thanks,
Jim T.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164
1984 Alfa Romeo Sprint QV 1.5l