clear brake fluid?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
From: Lawrence Leong <leongccl@domain.elided>

It's time to change brake fluid on my "new" 164.

The brake fluid appears to be clear, and more viscous than the
ATE Dark Blue DOT3 I'm used to.

Any idea what this is?
- - - DOT4, and what brand is this most likely to be?
- - - DOT5 (non-sillicone)?

I saw an article, recently, and it may have been in the Alfa Owner or
Alfa Bits (magazine of the Alfa Romeo Owners of Oregon). It showed a
simple test to distinguish conventional from silicone brake fluid. Put
samples of each in a small amount of water. Silicone fluid does not mix
with water, so a separation will be evident if you have silicone.

Paul Rollins