Re: alfa-digest V7 #1422 - Motronic Engine Identificatio

In a message dated 03/07/2000 1:52:31 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 16:03:46 -0500
 From: "Ken Ross" <Kdross@domain.elided>
 Subject: Motronic or L-Jetronic FI in Spider

 Does anyone how I can check which Bosch FI system I have in my 1990 Spider?
 Since 1990 was a transition year, I may have either the L-Jetronic or newer
 Motronic.  TIA.

 Ken Ross

    I am not sure about the 90, but the 91 Motronic differs in appearance in
at least three areas.  Sorry, but my 91 is in storage, so I cannot compare it
to the earlier spiders in the garage.
    The 91 has a cross flow radiator with electric fans.  The earlier L
Jetronic engine has a plastic fan mounted on the water pump.  For what it is
worth, the air conditioner belts are much easier to access on the later
spiders.
    The exhaust manifolds on the Motronic engine are two piece.  If your
exhaust manifold is identical to those on a 74 or earlier spider, then it is
a Motronic engine.  If the exhaust manifold is one piece with the head pipes
siamesed, then you have the earlier engine.
    The third easy way to tell is if the inside of the gas filler cap and the
owner's manual call for premium fuel, then you have a Motronic engine.  The
earlier engines run fine on 87 octane.
    There are several differences in the routing of the air hoses and the air
flow meter looks different, but nothing that is easy to describe here.
    It was my understanding that the transition year was 1989.  According to
that, your 1990 spider should definitely have the Motronic engine.  I am also
not sure when Alfa added power steering, but the 1991 has that.
    I also have some Alfa factory and ARDONA literature which indicates that
the Motronic spiders have 9:1 compression.  I thought all Motronics had 10:1
compression and would have thought the sales literature would have played
that up.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City