spider convertible latch adjustment

Is there any way to adjust the tension on a spider's convertible roof
latch?  The drivers' side has always been very difficult to latch.  Truly,
once latched, the top would be like a drum head, but after leaving it
stored with the top down for some months I'm now unable to latch it at all.
 It's just too tight to draw to its overcenter latched condition.

The over-window cables have been broken for years.  I see no adjustments
for any other parts of the top and can't believe that the proper tension is
simply the result of where you screw down the top at the rear...or if is,
the installers have my respect!

Robert Hardwick, Seattle
'79 spider
'91 164 (new battery spins starter OK, but still won't start)
'90 Audi 90Q (acquiring many miles!)

End of alfa-digest V7 #1407