Re: Alfa's Threat Against Colin

In a message dated 2/28/00 21:23:03 Eastern Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< From:    "Ricardo Brugnoli" <rbrugnoli@domain.elided>
 To:      <verrilli@domain.elided>
 Subject: use of alfa romeo logo

 please be informed, that the use of the logo and the brand name alfa romeo,
 is stricly forbidden, unless officially authorized by fiat auto spa, owner
 of the brand name and logo.

 I urge you to to immediately remove the logo and the script from your web
 page.
 Be advised that if immediate action is not taken we will pursue this matter
 legally.

 riccardo brugnoli
 manager, alfa romeo inc./ARDONA division

 - - ------- End of Forwarded Message

I would take this very seriously, as Alfa went after the Australian AROC
tooth and nail in an effort to get them to drop the use of the serpent and
cross logo. The stylized "Alfa Script" used in the header would be a
copyright infringement as well.

While I fully understand the legal issues involved here, and they ARE open
and shut, some of these people at ARDONA would do well to understand they owe
their livelihoods to people like Colin Verrilli.  Alfa Romeo, in case they
haven't noticed, has few friends in this country, and we have done a better
job of keeping the brand alive better than Fiat, s.p.a. has.  One Digester
pointed out the need to protect a brand, and that is indeed true. The Xerox
Corporation came within a hair's breadth of losing the rights to their name
when a judge warned they were not doing enough to protect it. Thanks to the
monopoly they once had, people would say "make me a Xerox of this document."
And the tale of Thomas Crapper's invention comes to mind as well.

Having said that, one wonders why they would be taking action now. Pretty
strange, if you ask me. The site has been up for years, thousands rely on it,
the Alfa Ring websites have been using the frikkin' logo as background
wallpaper (!) for a long time, and surely, the ARDONA people must have been
accessing the site for their own use as well.  I don't believe they just
"discovered" Colin's site by some freak act.

Could it be that the way is being prepared for an official American site, for
a return? Hmmmmm? In any case, I would take the threat of legal action very
seriously. These guys don't take prisoners. ARDONA doesn't have enough money
to keep AFM's in stock, but lawyers, well, there's always something in the
budget for that.

P.S. Note to Colin- check and see if Mr. Brugnoli's e-mail address is on the
Digest subscriber list.

Don