87 Spider bumper

I need to fix the rear bumper on my 87 Spider as someone bumped it in a
parking lot.  Just the left side is slightly cracked.  When I say side I
mean the wrap around which extends to the wheel well.  My question is, can
I just remove the wrap arounds from both sides?  I never liked the look
and was thinking about just leaving the actual rear bumper minus the
wrap arounds.  Has anyone done this?  IF so, how does it look?  I know
there is a "stud" which the sides slide on to, but it seems that could be
removed.

Thanks,
Chris
Miami, FL