Re: 88 Spider Differential Question

Simon,

Easy, fella.  I guess I neglected to comment that I indeed found evidence of
leakage at this gasket and that one of the bolts had been replaced by a
screw by someone previous to my purchase of this car.

I suspected the pinion seal, not from having to replace one in the past, but
as you have said, from the pattern of slung lube.

And, BTW, I bought Pat's book after buying my first Alfa, two years ago.  I
did consult it and didn't catch any comments regarding the differential's
bottom plate.  Not that there may not be a comment in this great reference,
but I didn't see one.

I like to confirm my diagnostic thoughts prior to action when I have the
opportunity.  The digest has helped me a ton (most info gained from reading
it daily).

Thanks for your comments,
Paul Weimer

End of alfa-digest V7 #1392