RE : More metric

Dave Miller report what one of his "very intelligent and competent individual"
said :

"That's the problem with the metric stuff. It wouldn't be bad if it was all the
same like inches, but you got your Japanese metric and your German metric and
Italian metric and every other darn thing."

I'm living in a country where metric is part of our life like you with inches.
And I'm surprised to learn that a 14mm hose will be different in Belgium,
Germany, Italy or Japan.  For what I know  : 14mm is the same everywhere in the
world where metric is applied.  Problem start with conversion and when I try to
understand fuel economy (just an example) I should refer to a sophisticated
tabel like the one that came a few days ago in this digest by Mark Battley
(thank you for that post):

US gallon = 3.785 l
UK gallon = 4.546 l
mile = 1.609 km

1us mpg = 0.8326 uk mpg
1uk mpg = 282.5 l/100km

As far we live with those units, we "visualize" the amount given by "our" units
and I'm sure if I tell you my fuel economy is 11.8L/100Km
it doesn't give you an idea of what it is like 20mpg doesn't tell me a lot.

Yvon Duvivier

'93  33   (200.000 km still running and in perfect state)
'92  155 V6  (135.000 km need some fixes, but really magic)