you can/cannot bring in - -

Got two different messages from (a) person(s) purporting to be Carson Damm of
Ft. McMurray, Alberta, Canada. One (the one on-digest) says in part "Milano's
were different, you can't import a us spec milano to canada even today. 164's
were different too, you can't import an "S" but you can import an "L". Can't
import a "Q" either." The other, off digest, aparently sent two hours later,
says "Actually, a couple of years ago (2) I was talking to my insurance agent
about that very topic. Basically what it came down to if you can get it here,
have your local rcmp officer to inspect it and if he/she deems it safe then
you can get it insured. Once you can prove insurance coverage you can get a
plate. ES-30 here I come. Some day, when the kid leaves home. :-)"

Ah, um. And if your local rcmp officer is in a bad mood you can ship it back
to Italy? Or can you keep it in the living-room as a rug-ornament? And I hope
the required insurance coverage is liability only- I would hate to guess the
rates for collision and/or comprehensive for a car for which the nearest
panels and glass were abroad.

I won't even wonder about having your local rcmp officer to inspect the 9mm
Beretta (nicer than a Glock, you know-) which you keep under the seat. No, I
won't go there.

Does anybody know the numbers of 164 "Q"s in Canada and the USA respectively?

Just curious. No, I don't really want one, personally, although it should be
a nice car.

John H.